Sunday, January 31, 2010

Challenge me!

I have come to be constantly visiting the blog of a very talented lady from the US. Her name is Gretchen Barron and she is sooooooo clever. Anyway she likes to challenge us and usually I don't have enough time in my days to get to them on time, but the moment I saw this sketch challenge I had to have a go.

I knew that it would go hand in hand with the colour challenge that had been set by the ESAD group. I was very concerned about these colours as I generally shy away from oranges, but I thought that I would try. The winner of this challenge gets to have their item displayed on the 'front' page of the ESAD group blog. How exciting would that be?

I decided to use the Baroque Motifs on the background and cut it up and alternate my colours. I did think that the Riding Hood Red and Old Olive would look great together - but I wanted to get away from 'christmas' colours. So I chose the Riding Hood Red and Pumpkin Pie. I stamped the image onto one sheet of both colours in Riding Hood Red ink and then dissected them into quarters. I did consider joining the alternates up to make the normal stamped image but felt that there was too much blank unstamped cardstock on the corners, so instead turned them around so the image was on the outer corner.

I then mounted these on Old Olive for one set, and because I had enough to make a second card, I mounted them on the opposite colour for the second set of images.

Because I was entering a competition to go onto the ESAD website, I thought that I would try to only use product that is from the current Idea Book and Catalogue. I couldn't quite find the right button embellishment, so decided to make my own. Yep, those are handmade buttons made using cardstock, a paper piercer, a punch and some Crystal Effects.

To make my centrepiece I inked up my Pocket Silhouette stamps using my marker pens. I then randomly stamped them onto my on point square. It started to look a bit overdone at the top and there were gaps where the stems were finishing. So rather than keep stamping and end up with something that looked like my 22 month old had stamped, I decided to use my sponge daubers to burnish the edges and bottom of the square. It filled the gap in nicely, and gave a bit more definition to my 'picture'.

So tell me what do you think?

Card: Bashful Blue, Pumpkin Pie, Riding Hood Red, Old Olive
Ink: Riding Hood Red
Markers: Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive
Punch: 1/2" Circle
Ribbon: Old Olive 1/4" grosgrain
Stamp Sets: Pocket Silhouettes, Baroque Motifs

Till next time, happy stamping...


  1. I truly love this card and your color combination! Very "eye catching" ... great work! Good luck with your challenge on ESAD ... this would make a great looking card for their home page!

    Kay Bray

  2. omg!! absolutely beautiful!!! LOVE the colors!! TFS R ;)

  3. Sonia -- this is just lovely and you showed us how to do it in both orientations! Wonderful! Baroque Motifs is one of my all-time favorite stamp sets as well. I'm so glad that you took the time to play along this week and I hope you'll be back soon to Inspiration in Action! Thanks and blessings, Gretchen

  4. I love it ! Great choice of colors !

  5. Wowzers! I am sooooo impressed by the hand made buttons! What a FAB idea! No need to have non matching buttons ever again! And ... love the added sponging on the bottom of the main image. Definitely finishes it off beautifully. So ... that is what I think!!! :wink: :D

  6. I love this card on so many levels Sonia!! It rocks. You have used my all time 2 fave sets, Baroque Motifs and Pocket Silhouettes and combined them so well in the challenge colours. By hopping around I am also getting a better idea of how to use buttons as an embellishment. FAB card and brilliant interpretation.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...